Aug 20, 2008

Good Reads.

On my nightstand right now:


"Love and Respect" was recommended to me by my mom- and dad-in-law. Later I found out that my parents had watched the corresponding videos and also liked it. The author kind of portrays his idea as "it" or "the answer" to every marriage. But, if you can look past that his message is really awesome. I feel like Hubby's and my marriage has grown this summer due to things that we're learning about each other in conversations that have been started by this book. (He's reading it too.)

"Shepherding A Child's Heart" I am only six chapters into, but I already really like this guy. He loves God a LOT and loves his kids a LOT. That's what sticks out to me. He really wants to parent in his kids' best interest...not his own. That's made an impression on me. Not to discipline my kids because I want to look good or for my own convenience, but for their own awareness of their need for God to redeem their lives! Good stuff so far.

6 comments:

  1. I read 'Love and Respect' before Nolan and I got married and remember really liking it! We just got 'Shepherding a Child's Heart' from our church for dedication...looking forward to digging in! Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to add these to my shelf, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Shepherding A Child's Heart" was actually recommended to me to read. Do you own this book or are you checking it out from the library?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love and Respect has been incredible for our marriage! We joke about getting new "pink" and "blue" hearing aides all the time. Seriously though, it's been HUGE for us. The video series was awesome and we had a small group with it. Hope you learn a ton!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:10 PM

    I've never actually read all of Shepherding a Child's Heart--started it several times and never finished it. I was just thinking yesterday that I really would like to try it again--I think you've just inspired me! Thanks for coming over last night--we love time with you gals! Hope Josie's feeling better! Gail

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of these are on my bookshelf and haven't made it to the nightstand yet... maybe soon!! :)

    ReplyDelete