Aug 29, 2008

Surprisingly Brave

When I was in college, I baby-sat for a family with 5 kids, all under the age of 7. Triplets were involved. One of my favorite things to do with these kids was go feed the ducks, and they loved it. I always dreamt about doing it with my own kids, if we still lived in town. Well, we do, and today was that day. I had some leftover bread crumbs from dinner last night, so it was a perfect opportunity to use them.

I told Malia what we were doing and her conversation with Pooh in the van went something like this:

(super-excited voice) "Ducks in pond. Ducks happy. Ducks yellow. Ducks nice, Pooh. Ducks share." Lots of comments about Gossie and Gertie, too. (kids' books)

Now, in my memory, I remember the ducks floating nicely in the water while we tossed crumbs in the pond...one occasionally stumbling out of the water to come nearer to the food. Today, the ducks must have been hungry because the minute they saw the crumbs, they bolted out of the water, making their way towards us at a brisk pace. I, holding Josie in a front carrier, a bag of bread, and Hubby's mondo camera, had no way to pick up Malia to rescue her from the impending doom she felt coming upon her. I made a quick decision to abort mission and try to out-waddle the ducks to the van. Walking with a carrier while holding the hand of a toddler can be tricky, and we weren't making any headway. I then noticed that the gate to the adjacent park was open. We snuck in, shut the gate, and were able to feed the ducks through the gate. Ahhhh success. And safety.

After a few minutes passed, Malia actually made her way near enough to the gate to slip some bread through!

4 comments:

  1. Way cute! I now have the inspiration to seek out a duck family and take Syd. She'd love it! Thanks for the pics, too. What a cutie patootie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She will have great memories of going to feed the ducks with mom! What a fun afternoon! Aunt Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew! Glad you made it to safety! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh how sweet! it seems like Malia is at such a fun age!!

    ReplyDelete