Nov 14, 2008

Flawed...or is it??


I just did something stupid. Both girls asleep and I am working on the quilt for Malia's new bed. I'm really enjoying myself. :) UNTIL...I finish cutting a strip with my handy little fabric slicer (I don't know what it's really called) and realize I am on THE TABLE!! Not the mat that is supposed to be UNDER the blade of the slicer. I nearly hyperventilate as I pull back the fabric and see the above mark (you may have to enlarge the photo), almost the entire width of the table, left where I cut.

We just bought this table a year and a half ago I've really tried to keep nice. Well, guess who scratched it up. Not my kiddos. :) So I was really distraught, but then this mark got me thinking. I guess it would be pretty dull to have a home straight out of a decor magazine. What makes a home a home? I think it's the little marks/stories/flaws/impressions we leave on each other that makes our family unique. Unlike any other. In a way, it's kind of exciting to think about the "marks" that are being and will be left in our home and the stories we'll have to tell about them one day.

I've been having similar thoughts regarding my post-two children body. My kids have physically left their mark on me. I could see it as a loss, or I can see it as something actually pretty beautiful and exciting. I am different now that I have had these children. I cannot be separated from the reality of that. It's kind of cool.

So anyway...my initial freak out turned into these thoughts. May our home and yours be filled with it's many memorable "marks" and the stories that God writes into your lives.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:14 PM

    Great thoughts, Eeka--I'd love to always see my home in that light. Love ya--Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Erika! Sorry about the table, but maybe this is preparing you for the years of destruction to come!! If you've already dinged up the table, you won't be as upset with your girlies do it soon! Someone had to be the first... it might as well be you! Thanks for your thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything a little worn in and comfortable. Our table was beaten with a hammer or something before I bought it, so there is little that we could do to it to botch it up. I guess you could all beat the snot out of your table with hammers and then you probably won't notice the scratch...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too already have scratches on our table. Oh well. I still remember the phillips screwdriver ding I put in mom and dad's table, and they remember it too!

    By the way, made the posole and the whole fam loved it! I was surprised Nevaeh loved the hominy. Definitely a keeper recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love your wisdom ... keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. once kirk accidentally left a RED candle to melt all over the coffee table and even though we intentionally picked out furniture that already looked a little "weathered" so we wouldn't worry about every little nick, i still freaked out. i think i cried. how stupid is that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not flawed...possessing of character. Each little mark keeps the memories of life alive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah you should see the "pristine" leather couch my in-laws gave us before we got married. It has definitely been weathered! You're right...it's just stuff. At least people can come over and feel at home, like it's alright if they make a mess.

    ReplyDelete