Mar 27, 2009

I Got out the Sewing Machine.

Using this dress (which will serve as Josie's Easter dress) for inspiration...

...and this pattern as a guideline...

I created this for Malia's Easter Dress.


It was a very fun project. I'm not a "clean" sew-er. I made mistakes and figured things out as I went along. There are several things that if you look closely, aren't perfect. But I really like how it turned out. And Malia's excited to wear it, too. Definitely used up some of that creative energy I carry around all the time. :) And Malia is now determined to learn how to sew. Someday, I told her.

10 comments:

  1. I always said that when I have a girl, I want to make them dresses like my Mom used to for us. It makes the dresses so special! Good for you, Erika!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! The hubby even saw the photo and said what a cute dress! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. goodness gracious! What a sweet dress! I have been wanting to get out my sewing machine too. But somehow I just can't find the time...hmm...wonder why? :) You've inspired me though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you, Erika! Malia looks so cute in that dress! You inspire me with your energy and the fact that you actually do something with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's adorable! Great job! She looks so thrilled. :) -Terri

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my word! what a darling dress!! and i love malia's hair--did she get it cut?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute dress, Erika. I myself have gotten the sewing machine out the last few weeks. I'm not very good, but I managed to turn a t-shirt and a pair of jeans into some pretty good maternity pants!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the dress. I am messy when sewing too, but still enjoy it despite the seam-ripping moments. I really have been missing you lately.

    ReplyDelete
  9. very pretty. well done. and, i'm sure malia doesn't mind the imperfections.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So fun! Please post an Easter picture of the two of them together in their dresses! I just used up some of my last Christmas/birthday money to buy a 220 sewing machine. Lots of curtains, etc. ahead! :) I thought you were probably up to some other creative project, as you hadn't blogged in a little while. :)
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete