Mar 21, 2009

New Life

I didn't think I'd be a gardener. But I've changed. Gardening appeals to so many things about me: my desire to be healthy, my desire to foster creativity in my family, my desire to be thrifty, etc. (The only thing that doesn't appeal to me is being in the heat. Blech. God, grant me grace here. :) So, we're giving it a go! My loving husband was willing to help me take on this endeavor. We're starting quite small, but I have visions of someday growing a great garden, providing food for us all year long.

Today was step 1: Convert the dog cage that we never use into a our garden plot.



Josie had her first go at the slide.



Here's our little plot.

We also planted a blueberry bush!


Stay tuned for Step 2: Mom comes with tiller and teaches me a thing or to about planting.

10 comments:

  1. Fun! We enjoy gardening... and how nice to have a fence to keep the pests out! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous. I really want to start a garden, but it sounds so intimidating to me. Can't wait to hear how it goes. Maybe someday we can have canning parties together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun endeavor. I have great memories of Ethan picking cherry tomatoes off of our plants and eating them straight; making big batches of tomato sauce and canning it; etc. The weeds were always the downer for me. Hope you get a bountiful crop this year!
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww.. once you figure out this whole gardening/canning process, can you teach me? :)
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. okay, this has nothing to do with your post, but saw your CUTEST hair ever today in church and never gotta chance to tell you in person, so bloggable, you look adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish we were there to help you with it!! You know how we love the outdoors. See you tomorrow and we will check out the garden!! Love to all, Gogo

    ReplyDelete
  7. The gardening bug has caught me too. We recently just moved into a new house though and don't even have a plot plowed up yet! We've got to get moving! What are you planting?? I just LOVE comparing gardens! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh ya girl! You go! I can't WAIT until we finally buy a house again and I can get my garden going. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Read ANIMAL VEGETABLE MIRACLE by Barbara Kingsolver. It's a good book about a family living for a whole year on what they can grow or buy locally. Pretty amazing. I don't have the will power. They lived in Virginia, so did without things like citrus fruits! aaah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love that you're gardening! you would definitely fit in here in lawrence... we love to be sustainable! um... i say "we," but i think we all know what would happen if i were to try to keep a garden... nothing good, that's for sure. eeks, remember when you bought me a fern for my birthday because you wanted to encourage me toward my lifelong dream of being able to keep plants? still working on that. have yet to successfully keep a plant living longer than 2 months. darn.

    ReplyDelete