May 21, 2009

When you have a plethora of cilantro...

You can try these! We've had a lot, and so I've been looking for recipes that use cilantro.

The first one was found in the most recent Bern (my hometown) cookbook. It was submitted by my Great Aunt Lena. It actually doesn't call for cilantro, but I just added it; it was a great addition. This is going to become one of my "go-to" lunch items. Just mix it up the night before. Next time I'm going to try cooking my own beans, rather than using canned. Oh yeah, I halved the dressing.

4-Bean Salad

1 can green beans
1 can wax yellow beans
1 can red kidney beans
1 can butter beans
1 onion (which I left out)
4 stalks celery
1/2 c. green pepper

DRESSING:
1 c sugar (I used honey, less)
1 c. vinegar
1/4 t. salt
1/2 c. salad oil
1 t. worcestershire sauce
1/4 t.pepper

Drain the four cans of beans. Chop onion and green pepper together. Cut celery in 1/4 inch pieces, crosswise of stalks. Mix together with beans. Put the dressing ingredients in saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring. Cool; pour over beans and refrigerate overnight.


The second one was a suggestion from this nifty lady. After skepticism from Hubby, he raved about it. And for good reason. It is GOOD. Thanks for the suggestion Emily.

Creamy Lime Cilantro Dressing
You can find it right here.


The last one we have had once before, but I had forgotten about it. That's a shame, because it was my favorite of the three. Yummy! Although I would suggest at least doubling the amount of veggies to be proportionate with the amount of pasta. And maybe a little more sauce too. Hubby thought that this one was a little too cilantro-y. But I loved it.

Linguine with Chicken and Sauteed Vegetables can be found here.

Any other ideas for using cilantro?

2 comments:

  1. I have a killer recipe for verde (green) enchiladas. It uses a ton of cilantro. Let me know if you'd like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. everything looks delicious. we typically only use cilantro in guacamole, but you've come up with some creative uses!

    ReplyDelete