Jun 22, 2009

It's a Jungle Out There!

So, recall to mind that I started my very FIRST garden this year. Well, actually, it's become as much Hubby's project as it is mine. He was surprised to find how much he enjoyed growing his own food!

So now it's June and this is what our little garden looks like...crazy!! (Please overlook the weeds...woops. :)

The plant that has most intrigued me is the zucchini plant. Hello it's gargantuan!! The stems are about quarter-sized in diameter.

I kept watching, waiting to see how and where the zucchini would grow in. (All you seasoned gardeners please pardon my novice wonder and awe.) Then these big beautiful orange blossoms came up.

Then the next thing I knew, I saw zucchini this size. Did it happen overnight? Surely not, I must have missed a day or two of watching.

We've also got lots and lots of green tomatoes and some basil.


We've also had just enough lettuce to provide some salads for lunch here and there.
One pepper plant died. The other looks pretty sad, but we're still hoping.
The cilantro is finished and has produced little white flowers. Not sure what to do with it now...any one know? Just uproot it or let it seed off? Whatever that means...I'm not really sure...I just hear people say it.

I have sooo many more things I want to do next year, and so little space. I just ordered the book "The Backyard Homestead" so we'll see if it has any tips on how to make use of the space we have.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous! My tomato plant has YET to even have a blossom. I'm not sure what to do....I talk to the thing....pray over the thing....nothin'. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! We love to garden, too. We seem to make our garden bigger and bigger every year because we want to plant more. Pretty soon our whole yard might be a garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard really wonderful things about that book! I'm sure you will love it. Don't feel bad about the pepper plant. Last year I wasn't paying attention and swiped 3 of my pepper plants with the garden hose. They never recovered! Yikes! It's fun to see your garden and children are so fascinated with that kind of thing! What a wonderful way to teach them about our amazing Creator!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so great, Erika! You've done amazing for your first go at it! I love your awe too...I'm still daily amazed at how each plant grows and changes.

    Not sure about the cilantro...I just chopped my off last night. Not sure if it was necessary, but it was starting to look to "weedy" for my taste. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We will have to learn from you two and we can't wait to have our own garden. I remember that I canned from my garden in Topeka nearly 30 years ago. I doubt I will do that again, but who knows!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pick off the white flowers and the little whispy growths on your cilantro and it'll hang around a little longer. I just had to do the same to mine this morning. Your basil will eventually do something similar, too. When you pick off the flowering portions, the plant puts more energy into making more of the herb portion. My parents taught me to do this--I wouldn't have had a clue!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you posted pictures of your jungle, as I forgot to take a peek at it before we left your house Saturday. As for zucchini, it can almost grow before your eyes!

    ReplyDelete