Dec 4, 2009

31.

So I went to a funeral yesterday for one of my high school classmates. He was just 31. It wasn't expected; he wasn't sick and didn't have some sort of illness. He just got in a car accident the night before Thanksgiving.

He had brought his 3-year old son home with him. The son was sleeping at his grandparents' house when the accident happened. His wife is 39 weeks pregnant. Sad, sad deal. I can't stop thinking about his wife and son.

There were 12 students in my graduating class. Nine of the 11 remaining where there. It was the most we'd all been together since graduation 13 years ago. It was really interesting and difficult to interact with each other in that setting. I had so many mixed emotions and memories going through my head. I was grieving for the mom and son that were sitting just a few seats down from me. In the time that has passed since graduation, my classmates are all a bit different, but mostly the same. So it seemed I had stepped into some sort of time warp directly into my past. There were lots of emotions and thoughts that came along with that, too.

The good part of the day was getting reacquainted with those people. There is a unique bond you form with people you were in every class with them from Kindergarten through 12th grade. A different kind of family. So that was really enjoyable.

But I definitely felt the tension between wanting to be real about what had happened, talking openly about it, and trying to just "fit in" and not do anything to make someone feel uncomfortable. Death is hard. I pray that all who attended this funeral would consider their time here on earth and be drawn to the real source of Life!

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear about your classmate. Sure does make me realize that we are not promised tomorrow and must live each day like it could be our last. Was great to be with you for Thanksgiving. We will look forward to the next time we are together. Gogo

    ReplyDelete