Dec 17, 2009

"The Claaasics."

(Imagine me saying that in a snobby British voice.)

A while back, I decided I'd like to read some of the claaasics that I, for various reasons, haven't ever read. In high school I thought reading the claaassics was lame. In college, I decided I probably would actually really enjoy them. But I've been reading other things and haven't made the time.

About a month ago, I started this venture with "The Pilgrim's Progress". While the story line was clever and inspiring, it seemed like a great amount of effort won me little progress. It was just hard to get through. I got through each of my allowed library renewals and had to turn it back in.

Today, I had some time to go meander without my kiddos for awhile, so I decided to look into my next claaasic. I sat at the library search engine and was inwardly embarrassed at how few titles I could think of. Like 4. So I made my way to the internet room and did a little google search. Verrry helpful. Now I have a big list of books that I'd like to get to at some point.

Being that it's Christmas, I decided to pick "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens. I don't think I've ever written anything by Charles Dickens and I'm finding out that he is funny! At least I think so. And thought-provoking.

Scrooge's nephew describes Christmas as "the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow-passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys. And therefore, uncle, though it has never put a scrap of gold or silver in my pocket, I believe that it has done me good, and will do me good; and I say, God bless it!"

And another character as "a time, of all others, when Want is keenly felt, and Abundance rejoices."

Isn't that a great word picture? I liked it.
Hope you're enjoying the your Christmas season!

3 comments:

  1. if you like dickens you should read jane austen...also witty and british. and fun to read while practicing your british accent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. other favorites: to kill a mockingbird, anna karenina (if you want to read the longest book that exists), les miserables (currently on my reading list), phantom of the opera (also currently on my list)... that's a start for your list for the next library visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. It takes a couple chapters to get into, but is WELL worth the effort. David Copperfield is tedious however. Another favorite claaasic: Count of Monte Cristo...

    ReplyDelete