Dec 8, 2009

Hearty Italian Soup


It just felt like a soup night last night. I was giving piano lessons from 4:15-5:15, so I needed to be able to cook around that time.

I thought of this recipe that I don't recall ever making before, but was given to us by my aunt and uncle when we got married. It seemed easy enough, and I expected it to taste decent.

Well, we discovered that the taste is well beyond "decent". It has a surprisingly deep and rich flavor! Soo yummy. I just ate some for lunch. I'm not sure where the flavor comes from. Maybe the sausage that simmers for 30 minutes. I used frozen diced tomatoes from our summer garden. Maybe that. Not sure, but we will be making this again.

If you feel like having soup tonight, maybe you'll enjoy this!

HEARTY ITALIAN SOUP
1 lb. bulk Italian pork sausage
1/2 c. chopped green pepper (I did 1 big pepper.)
1/2 c. chopped onion (I used about 4 stalks celery instead.)
28 oz. can tomatoes, cut up (I used the ones from our garden.)
2 (8 oz.) cans tomato sauce (I just had one can of tomato soup and some tomato juice, so that's what I used instead.)
1 T. OR 2 cubes chicken bouillon
3/4 c. macaroni (I used tri-color pasta that I had leftover - 1 1/4c.)
2 c. water (You can gauge this, based on how liquid-y you want it to be.)
1/2 t. garlic powder
shredded cheese (we didn't even use this, it was so good without!)

Brown sausage, pepper, and onion. Drain. Stir in remaining ingredients except macaroni and cheese. Cover, simmer 15 minutes. Stir in macaroni, cover and simmer 10-12 minutes or until macaroni is tender. Top individual servings with cheese.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

3 comments:

  1. Yay! Thanks for the recipe. It looks really good. I LOVE soup. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had 'Hearty Meatball Soup' tonight (great minds think alike). Can't sit in the middle of a blizzard and not have soup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, Mary gave me this recipe. It is Jonathan's favorite, and is fantastic after a day of romping in the snow...

    ReplyDelete