Jan 28, 2010

Trying it Out.


Josie's sick. Really stuffed up, watery eyes, bad cough. Since the FDA recently decided that over-the-counter cold/cough medicine was too risky for young kids, I decided that this homemade cough syrup was worth a shot!

I've been interested in learning more about the medicinal qualities of food, anyway. I figure, most cultures in most time periods relied on knowing how to use plants and food in this way. Don't get me wrong, I am soooo thankful for modern medicine and all that it as saved us from. But I do feel like we've lost something along with it.

God was SO smart in how He created this planet! He made food and plants to nourish us well and many things even have healing/medicinal qualities! How cool is that? Well I, for one, have little to no knowledge about how to use the things He's made in that way. So I am excited to learn and try some things. I figure that a)all those other cultures weren't crazy and b)it could only benefit me to learn more about how God made his creations to work!

Well, I just finished it before nap-time. Josie willingly drank it. (that was nice.) She only had it in her for about 5 minutes before her nap, but it seemed to lessen the cough some. (We'll get a better idea for how effective it is later.) But the best part was that she went down for her nap peacefully with no coughing.

Would she have done that if I hadn't given her the medicine? Who knows? But I'm happy for now. :) I'll let you know what I think of it.

5 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that Josie is sick. Hope she gets better quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. never heard of the onion and honey, only tea and honey, definitely worth a try, thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm...I have memories of my mom trying a very similar concoction with us kids. Hope Josie is getting better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I swear by Viks vapor rub; applied to the soles of my kids (especially Ethan's) feet. Put them in socks and within ten minutes he's sleeping well and the coughing has stopped. I'll have to try onions if the Viks gives out on me. Hope Josie feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that website that you got the recipe from! I did a guest post for her about a year ago. She's really sweet! I remember reading this post and wanting to try it out but never did. Good to know you liked it. We'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete