Apr 1, 2010

The Quilting Bee Chronicles. Chapter 3.

After a brief quilting hiatus, we are BACK!
We've slowed our pace over Spring Break, but never fear, the quilting hasn't stopped entirely.

Yesterday was Day 3.
After arranging all of our quilt squares just how we like them (it took much re-ordering and collaboration to make these decisions of utmost importance), the sewing process began!

Pinning the squares together...

make sure those edges are even!

Ironing on the first almost-90-degree day of the year while resisting the air conditioner was not pleasant, to say the least. But we pushed onward!!

When the boys started filing in for Life Group in the evening, I overheard a conversation that went (roughly) like this:
Boy 1 (talking under his breath): Do you kind of want to learn how to sew?
Boy 2 (strange look on his face): No.
Boy 1: I do. It looks fascinating.

The next time I rounded the corner into the kitchen, what did I find but two boys hunched over these machines learning from the girls! It cracked me up!
They totally sewed like boys...large, sweeping movements, foot pressed hard on the pedal. No fine, intricate work here.
I loved seeing everyone get in on the fun!

Do you think the girls look a little nervous???

Two girls were able to get all of their squares sewn together and safety pin all three layers (quilt top, batting, and backing) together. They will be working on tying it together at home.

More to come....we're heading into the final stretch now...
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Yay!! I am so excited to finish them!!!!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! Thanks for letting us invade your house and for helping us with them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erika, I think you should open a quilting school! You have some great students and I would love to see the finished products.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog post was so much fun!! So exuberant! I love reading what you have to say, and looking at the photos. And I would also love to make a T-shirt quilt sometime. I'll have to check back for instructions. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete