Jul 31, 2010

Bread and Butter Baby.

I was given six cucumbers from a friend and decided that it was time to try my hand at canning.
A small batch of Bread and Butter Pickles would be a good place to start.
I've been dreaming about learning to can. It seems so cost-effective and fun!
Alas, I do not own a canner. Until today, I owned no mason jars.
But my friend Carmen shared her recipe and her canner. AND explained to me how to use it.
I'm a newbie, I tell ya.
I went to Wal-Mart to get jars.

This recipe was super easy and DELICIOUS!
I couldn't resist eating a few before I put them in the jars.  Neither could Malia and Josie.
Not sure if Carmen wants it to be shared or not, so I'll withhold that information for now.

But let the pictures tell you the story:
1) Cut the cucumbers (and peppers, if you're using this recipe.)

2) Put them in a bowl.

3) Add a couple of ingredients and bathe it in ice for 3 hours.

4) Drain the veggie mixture and put it into a boiling sauce.  Stir to coat and keep it in here until shortly after it comes back to a boil.

5) Fill the mason jars with the mixture.  Put them in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

6) Take them out to cool and wait to hear the the little seals go "pop"!  All four of mine popped.  I was nervous.  But they all pulled through. :)
7) Aren't they so pretty?  As you can see, 6 cucumbers made 4 pint sized jars of pickles.  I can't wait to eat them.

Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. Wow!! Looks good!!! Nicely done Erika!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to do this too! You're an inspiration! Now to find the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've wanted to try this lately as well. I'm worried about my stove top. I have a flat top like yours in photo, and didn't think I was supposed to can on it. Obviously, you didn't have any problems?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm....didn't know about the flat top issue...just assumed I could do it. It worked. Hope I didn't ruin anything??

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look picture perfect! And look delicious as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good work! Of course the recipe can be shared! :) And interesting comment about the stove tops...I have no idea!

    ReplyDelete