Nov 18, 2010

House Stories.

There have been sooo many little decisions to make in the house-building process.  I feel like we are finally nearing the end of them, and now, hopefully, we can just see them come to fruition. (is that how you use that word?)

The latest decision was what to do about a fireplace mantle.  We really didn't want something "curvy foo-foo".  (That's the phrase my Mom made up.)  We just wanted something that looked fairly square and rustic.

So why pay someone bookoo bucks to carve something curvy foo-foo if there is a farm at home and a pretty likely possibility of it containing a wood piece that is fairly square and rustic?  I asked my parents to look around and see if they could find anything.  And the answer was YES!  First my Dad found an old bridge plank that we were excited about using.  Then my Uncle Judd found this piece of Walnut lying in my Grandpa's barn!


Doesn't that look like it will make a great fireplace mantle?

And how much more meaningful will it be to have a piece of my Grandpa and his farm built into my home?  Sooo excited about this development.  I'd much rather have a home built with family history and personal touches than straight out of a page of Pottery Barn.  (I actually really like Pottery Barn, so no offense meant there.)

My uncle has his own custom cabinet making business (and is very skilled, by the way, if you're looking for custom cabinets) and he is going to finish it up for us!  I'm so excited to see how this walnut piece, salvaged from my Grandpa's barn will fit into our home!

Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. That's just too fun! Can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:22 PM

    Umm...I LOVE that!
    ~Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see how it fits in either! Make sure and share pics! I can't wait to see how your beautiful home comes together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great idea, Eeks! It does look very Tiffany actually. what are you doing around the fire place? Brick? Stone?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...love this idea, and love that it was your grandpa's! Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. THAT IS TOO COOL! I love everything about this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This will be very cool- can't wait to see it in person someday

    ReplyDelete
  8. SOOOO neat - and a little jealous! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this so much and like the name Aliza a lot! Help me know how to pronounce it though:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cooper10:20 AM

    Go to http.//www.sararily10.blogspot.com and plez leave a comment on her blog and also tell her where you are from!!

    ReplyDelete