Apr 23, 2011

You Pick 5.

I had two things to post about, and one title to fit both. :)
So just for fun...if you were picking 5 herbs to grow at home, what would they be?
I probably should have asked this before buying my plants this morning, but I didn't.

Here are my 5:  cilantro, basil, rosemary, dill, and oregano.
Cilantro = makes good salsa
Basil = makes yummy tomato sauce
Rosemary = amazing with butter roasted potatoes
Dill = hopefully to be used with cucumbers to make pickles
Oregano = this was my last choice.  Kind of a random pick.

What 5 would you pick?


And on the the second You-Pick-5 subject.
Nate purchased the game Dominion for his birthday.
If you didn't know it, Nate and I are kind of game nerds.  (See here for evidence.)

Dominion...great game.  Today during nap time Nate and I decided that instead of both playing from the randomly drawn 10 cards, which is the normal rule of play, we could each pick our own 5 cards to play from.  And only those 5.  Doesn't mean much if you don't know the game, I'm sure.  But anyway, it was a fun little thing for the day. 

11 comments:

  1. My five:
    Basil
    Chives (I love how they come back each year and eating the purple flowers)
    parsley (comes back for one more year--so yummy for risotto)
    Sage (I pretty much only use it for chicken pot pies, but it is so pretty and comes back every year)
    Mint! Again, comes back every year. I love to make mint (or basil) lemonade. And mojitos. Yum

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have rosemary in that list, too, but it grows all over Baylor's campus, so I just "forage" it when I need it.

    I need to hear more about dominion. Maybe we could come over for a double game date when we're in town this summer...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and cilantro won't grow easily here past April, or that would be on my list, too. Cilantro is not crazy about the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. basil
    thyme
    rosemary
    parsley
    lavender (not for it's cooking uses, but because it is SO pretty and aromatic)

    i'm actually proud to say that my thyme survived the winter and seems to be spreading! yay. it's the only successful growing of anything green that i have ever done! i need to learn from you, my friend, you seem to have this garden thing down. i'm not a true lawrencian with my awful black thumb (and hatred for ku).

    ReplyDelete
  5. My 5:
    Rosemary, rosemary, rosemary, rosemary, and rosemary!

    Joking, but that IS my favorite. I think I'd pick
    Rosemary, basil, mint, cilantro, and oregano--not too different from yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. we are doing cilantro, oregano and basil. i think youre herbs are a great choice!! depends on what you cook with!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It would be fun to see where you planted them! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cilantro (for SURE!)
    Sweet basil
    Parsley
    Rosemary
    Dill (just LOVE that smell!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Let's see...mine would be:

    Cilantro
    Basil
    Mint
    Parsley
    Chives

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chives
    Basil
    Thai Basil
    Cilantro
    Parsley

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rosemary is definitely one of my top picks too. Just found an AWESOME recipe for Rosemary Ranch Chicken Kabobs. I'll email you!

    ReplyDelete