May 23, 2011

Crafts for today.

 Have I mentioned how into crafting my girls are??
Especially Number 1, but I think it's just because she's able to do a bit more.
Number 2 keeps pretty interested too.

Nate left Sunday morning to help with Orientation Week for a sending organization for university students.
He won't be home until late Friday night.
In the meantime, I'm getting ready to host my family...my parents, sister, her husband, their two kids, my brother, his wife, their three kids, my other brother, his wife, and their two kids...with the first arriving on Friday.
Hello...it's a little crazy here.  And about to get crazier.  In a good way.
Soooo fun.  And we are counting down the days (literally...see chain below) until they come!
Can't wait for some good, memorable family time.

In other news, Malia is still quite the little bookworm.
Yesterday, she approached me and stated matter-of-factly,
"Mom, when Laura [Ingalls Wilder] was fourteen, she was a teacher.  Her class only had five students."
Me: How do you know that?  (Cause I didn't.)
Malia: I read it in this book.
Me: Where?  Can you show me?

Sure enough there in the middle of a page it read something to the effect of "When Laura turned fifteen (she got that word wrong) years old, she became a teacher in a school.  Her class just had five students in it."

It was a 40ish page book with about 150 words per page.  I had never read it to her, so I know she was just reading it.  She constantly surprises me with words like appeared, performance, sunshine.  When I ask her how she knows those words, she says "I just sounded it out."

Yeah, yeah I know.  I'm one of those moms who thinks their kid is amazing.
I'm sure she's really quite average :), but I'm sure proud of what she's learning these days.

4 comments:

  1. Erika,

    I have been meaning to give you these! They are my 2 favorite preschool websites!
    www.prekinders.com
    www.preschoolexpress.com

    If you would like some more good sites, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm...ABOVE AVERAGE Eeka! Way to go in helping her learn. You are a little Laura Ingalls yourself (apart from the creepy getting married at 15 part:).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Jenni's comment! (And yes, totally Above Average)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nanette11:01 PM

    I am SO EXCITED for our family time!!!!!!! Anticipating a weekend of wonderful memories with my favorite people.

    ReplyDelete