May 3, 2011

My BHAG.

That's short for Big Hairy Audacious Goal...
something that every person in our church was encouraged to set after a series on "American Idols".
After ending the series last Sunday, envelopes were passed around with cards inside on which we were to write down:
1) our name
2) the personal idol that we struggle with (which should have been revealed throughout the series)
3) our BHAG.  Something specific and measurable so that in a year they can send these self-addressed envelopes back to us as a reminder/accountability tool.


Since I'm not journaling in an actual journal a whole lot these days, I thought I'd record mine here.

1) Erika Sapp
2) success/approval (i.e. the idea that if I can perform well enough or be "good" enough, people will love me)
        -being in campus ministry, sometimes that plays out by me really wanting to be seen as "wise" in the eyes of college students, hoping they will remember things I've told them, or valuing my opinions as they look for advice
3) Commit 4 passages of Scripture to memory that address this idol - how the truth of the gospel should destroy it.  And at least once a month, spend time meditating on and praying through these passages.


I decided on my first one today.

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.'  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.  That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties.  For when I am weak, then I am strong."    2 Corinthians 12:9-10

I'll probably give a month to memorizing this one passage, just so you know.
I'm hoping that this will remind me that it doesn't do God a favor if people only see me as "wise".  On the contrary, it makes much of a powerful GOD, when I show my need for Him.

Any prayer appreciated. :)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I appreciate your heart so much, and find it interesting
    that my card read very similarly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it, thanks for sharing, i think you are wise and i am pretty sure you are younger than me, Im working on my BHAG, a little overwhelming. Love the verse you chose too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. erika i just love to read your blog. thanks for sharing, my idol is also. and my parenting really plays into it. ive had some tears over that lately, as you know from monday mornings. so good when God teaches you but ouch....sometimes it hurts....thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete