Jul 25, 2011

Zucchini Cakes


After my Grandma passed away I was able to look through her recipe collection and keep what I wanted.  What a treasure!  This was one of the recipes I kept because a)it was written out in her own hand-writing and b)it looked like a creative way to make a side dish with zucchini.  I finally tried it and have to say it was a winner!  Josie didn't love them, but she still ate 1 1/2.  Malia and I ate a lot.  It was a quick lunch item.

Grandma Meyer's Zucchini Cakes
2 beaten eggs
2 c. grated zucchini (about one small to average zucchini)
1/3 c. biscuit mix
1/4 c. parmesan
salt and pepper to taste

Drop by rounded Tablespoonfuls into hot oil.  Brown on both sides.


I am more prone to post about recipe successes, but I also have my share of "not-winners".  For example, I recently attempted to substitute lard for Crisco in my Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe.  (Trying to do away with Crisco, but let me tell you...it's just so hard to get rid of in this particular recipe.  It just makes them so crispy on the outside, soft on the inside...yum.)  You need not ever try this substitution.  Seriously.  Don't even think about it.  It was horrible.  I didn't even bother baking the dough.  It tasted like bacon.  Not what I want in a cookie.  So you see, I have my share of mistakes.  If you have an amazing...and I mean AMAZING (because I feel like my current recipe will be hard to replace) chocolate chip cookie recipe that uses butter instead of Crisco, feel free to send it my way!  Katie, I'm thinking that maybe you do??  But whoever, I'm open.

But the Zucchini Cakes...a winner.

8 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about my choc chip cookie recipe. Bob won't let me change a thing and it's his favorite cookie. If you find a good one, please share!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:47 PM

    YES! I have a wonderful cookie recipe that uses butter... lots of butter. :) I'll email it to you. Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look DELISH!! And, no, bacon cookies sound awful. Bleh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. those look so good! I have a similar recipe for summer squash patties, but yours look a lot better than mine did. I think it's the biscuit mix, because I just used flour so they weren't fluffy like pancakes. There's baking soda in biscuit mix isn't there? I bet that's the key.

    About lard: It's weird that it didn't work for your cookies. I have a friend that is starting her own bakery business and she uses lard in her pie crusts (pies are her specialty!) and they sure do NOT taste like bacon. I'll ask her about her lard. That just sounds weird.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, another thought. I think you should definitely share MORE recipes on your blog! I know you do that from time to time, but I'm always drooling after your recipe posts! Also, I think it would be kind of awesome if you could scan your grandma's recipes so you could post pics of the original cards when you do her recipes! I love to see old handwritten recipes, especially when they have such meaning! Ok, I think that's all the thoughts I have for now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're trying these tonight. Hopefully they go over well with our 2 year old who is less than thrilled about most veggies right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a very similar recipe that calls for chopped green onions and garlic powder. You can also use this as a pizza crust. Put it in a cookie sheet with sides, bake until golden, then put the toppings on and bake until bubbly. All very good. I'll try to send you a recipe for Cowboy cookies-our absolute favorite, and made with butter;-)

    ReplyDelete