Oct 18, 2011

A Pleasant Surprise.


I've recently been looking into the "More With Less" Cookbook that my generous Mom-in-law gave me a couple of years ago.  I'm kind of regretting that I haven't explored it earlier.  It is very helpful if you're looking to eat more whole foods and less processed things.

I had this interesting-yet-simple recipe dog-eared, we had apples and sweet potatoes to use up, so I gave this a try:
Sausage-Sweet Potato Bake:

Brown in skillet: 1 lb. bulk sausage.
Break up large pieces and drain off excess fat.

Arrange in 2 qt. casserole:
2 medium raw sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced (I used 5 small, making this fit in a 9x13 pan)
3 medium apples, peeled and sliced (I used 2, just preference of sweet potato/apple ratio)
browned sausage.

Combine and pour over:
2 T. sugar (I 1 1/2-ed all sauce ingredients to account for the larger pan -- and I used honey)
1 T. flour
1/4 t. ground cinnamon
1/4 t. salt
1/2 c. water
Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 50-60 minutes, or until apples and sweet potatoes are tender.

It is a very FALL dish, I'll say that.  But surprisingly tasty!
And it fit the mood of our overcast, rainy day well.
Nate said to put it on the "make again" list. :)

5 comments:

  1. I've made this a time or two from that cookbook as well! Let me know what else you try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:20 PM

    Would you bring that cookbook home over Thanksgiving? I'd like to look at it!! Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cookbook is wonderful. I use it all the time. In fact, that recipe is one of our favorites! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should try the oatmeal bread recipe. Super good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. interesting... our favorite brunch place has a sweet potato and chorizo hash that i've tried to duplicate from home, sounds similar to your recipe. but mine is more spicy, from the looks of the ingredients. i add sweet potato, sausage (usually use turkey sausage, chorizo is harder to find), onion, red bell pepper, corn, jalapenos, shredded cheese, spices: cinnamon (really!), curry powder, cumin. the restaurant has scrambled eggs mixed in too, but i could do with or without it. seems like the eggs make it more of a breakfast-y dish.

    ReplyDelete