Feb 23, 2012

The Secret's Out!

Except that it was never really a secret...  
Beirocks is probably the top stand-by/favorite/birthday meal/everyone raves about it meal that I've carried on from my family.  I've been making them for friends and college students for the past 10 years or so and the legend just lives on.  It really is a simple dish, but people just go crazy over them!  I'm not one to keep recipes a secret....(I mean, I just got it from my Mom, and she just got it from somewhere else)....so here you go!

Beirocks
1 pkg. frozen dinner rolls, thawed
2 lbs. ground beef
1 can cream of chicken soup
6-8 oz. cheddar cheese
1/3 to 1/2 head cabbage, finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Make sure you set out the rolls to thaw about an hour before you want to start filling them.
If you want to leave out the cabbage, you'll probably only need 20-24 rolls.
I highly suggest leaving it in.

Brown ground beef, drain off grease.

Add cabbage...

soup (in this case I made my own--healthier)...

cheese, salt, and pepper to the beef.

We were having some roasted potatoes with this tonight.
Just thought they looked pretty in the sink.

Roll out dough (one thawed) and put 1 heaping T. of beef mixture on dough.  Pinch all sides closed.  Place on greased cooking sheet with pinched side down.  

 Let raise 1/2 hour, then bake 15-20 minutes at 375 degrees, or until brown.
Brush with melted butter.

We were feeding 7 college students (5 boys) plus our family tonight and they were gone before I got a single picture.  I probably should have made more...I like leftovers. :( 

 Just in case you're interested in the Homemade Cream-of-Whatever Soup recipe, here that is:
2 T. butter
2. T. flour
1 c. milk or broth
1 t.salt
2 T. onions, mushrooms, celery, etc. (optional)

Melt  butter over medium heat.  Saute veggies until soft.  (I always skip the veggies.)  Whisk in flour.  No lumps.  Whisk in liquid.  Continue stirring until mixture comes to simmer and thickens.  Turn heat down and cook 1 minute to get rid of flour taste.  I think this recipe is from The Pioneer Woman.
..................................................................................

We've been heading outside around here.  Loving the jacket (even barefeet!) weather lately.  The bikes have emerged.  We've picnic-ed at the neighborhood park, where the kids found a cove of cedars to play and climb in. 

We've chalked.
 

We've watched farm equipment drive by and yelled "It's like Uncle Rod!!" with the sprayer.

This cutie is becoming more of her own person daily.  What a ham!  She loves to "participate" in conversations and spontaneous dances.

This was the sunrise yesterday morning.  It was bright pink.  And literally within seconds as I was taking pictures, it went from the whole sky...to gone.  So weird.  Look at the progression:

The craft project post is soon to come.  I just have to finish one thing...

4 comments:

  1. Your cream soup recipe is simpler than mine... thanks for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great show and tell of your Bierocks! Have you ever thought of selling them? I think it sure would work. Love all the pics of outside play, chalk drawings and sunrises. We are having a blast here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm homesick and loved seeing your Kansas Sunrise pictures. Thanks for that little gift, even though it wasn't meant only for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use your recipes for Beirocks and they are always a hit. I even added them to my menu plan this coming month and thought of you as I wrote it down. I'm so grateful you made them for Heidi and I all those years ago.

    ReplyDelete