Jun 8, 2012

Bread Machine 101.


I've been making our bread for a couple of years now.  I still think that making it without the machine yields a better dough and end result.  However, the convenience of the bread machine wins me in this matter.  The difference is slight, not enough to merit booting the machine, in my opinion.  So, I succumb.  It is worth it, I feel, for nutritious, yummy bread that takes 5-10 minutes of my morning.

I've tinkered around over the last couple of years with mainly one recipe.  After some adjustments, this is where I've landed:


Whole Wheat Bread:
1 1/8 c. water
1 1/2 - 2 T. olive oil
3-4 T. honey
1 1/2 t. salt
2 1/4c. white whole wheat flour (I really like baking with this kind of flour.)
1/2 c. white flour (I sometimes go all whole wheat and leave this out.)
1/4 c. ground flax seed (or wheat bran or wheat germ)
1 1/2 - 2 t. yeast

Put in machine in the order the manufacturer recommends.
Use whole wheat setting.
Let it cool a bit before you cut it. It slices better.

Whip on some peanut butter and Grandma Hoerner's Cranberry Apple Butter and you have yourself a pretty tasty lunch.
(Thanks Mom and Dad-in-law for the apple butter!)

I still enjoy doing other recipes, but this is our standard.

Aliza likes bread. :)
F.Y.I.  Our walls aren't really that yellow.  Just the picture.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you posted this... just going to get our bread machine out again soon! It's been put away for much too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh. That last picture of Aliza is so precious.

    ReplyDelete