Jul 13, 2012

Dresser Redo

Aliza received no birthday present from us on her birthday.....in January.
What kind of parents are we? :)

We've been keeping our eyes on Craigslist for a dresser that could replace this one that is in her room.  The drawers didn't work well and there was a piece on the bottom that was falling off.  And I thought it would be nice to have something a bit bigger.

Per the recommendation of my friend Michelle, I have been reading "Almost Amish" by Nancy Sleeth.  You would love this book! she told me emphatically.  And, yes, I have been enjoying it so far.

Anyway, it made me re-think the idea of getting a bigger dresser.  Do I really need, or even want something bigger?  Maybe we could move the drawers around some, tack up the piece that is falling, do some painting, and put new knobs on.

So, it was decided that I would redo the dresser we already have, rather than look for something different.  We went from this...


to this....

This is the first piece of furniture I have ever painted and distressed.  Somewhat of an intimidating process.  As with most creative processes in this home, there were surprises encountered along the way.  But overall, I am pleased with the decision!

One random surprise is that the pulls for the larger drawers were not a standard size, meaning that Menards carried nothing that would fit them.  Ha!  Slight problem.  I ended up finding something smaller to go in both holes.

Projects like this, ones that combine saving us some money and making something for the people I love, totally make me come alive.  Who says stay-at-home-moms can't have creative outlets? :)
  
Happy Birthday Aliza, now that you are 1 1/2. :)  We love you like crazy!

4 comments:

  1. VERY cool! So glad you're enjoying the book and what a fun "find" in your own house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've really been enjoying all of your decorating posts, Erika! Your dresser turned out great. I am planning on doing something similar to my daughters dresser. I just love these little glimpses into the Sapp family's life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You actually did really well with the distressing!! Way to go!! :) It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it looks great!!!! Well done!
    we don't buy our girls bday gifts...their party is their gift. is that bad? oh well.. :)

    ReplyDelete