Jul 4, 2012

I'm Learning.

We picked some things for the first time today.

I am a learning gardener.  I have done a couple of small gardens in the past.  This year's is my third.

I have dreams of having a much larger garden space that will do more year-round supplying for our family.

But now, I really am just learning.

And each year I am adding to my understanding of when to plant what, what the plants will look like, and how much they will yield.

For instance, this year I added carrots to my plan.  Call me crazy, but when I planted these carrots I wondered how many carrots would there be per plant.  Would there be just one?  Or would there be a bunch, like potatoes?  As I watched them grow, it was apparent that there would be just one.  See, I don't know these things.  I'm just figuring it out.  Now I know that it would take a lot of space to grow as many carrots as our family goes through (which is a lot).  I'm not sure how much we'll value planting carrots in the future.  Though you can put them fairly close together and they grow pretty easily.

A carrot and a zinnia became our Science lesson today.


The other thing I picked today (for the first time ever - how exciting!) was potatoes.  They were pretty yummy in this Potato Salad we had for lunch.  The recipe is from my Mom and it is super yummy and refreshing.  Not your average potato salad.

Sugar Snap Potato Salad
2 lb. small red potatoes, quartered (we grew Yukon gold)
3/4 lb. fresh sugar snap peas
1 slice red onion, finely chopped (left this out)
1/3 c. mayonnaise
1/3 c. plain yogurt
1 clove garlic, minced
3 T. Dijon mustard
1 t. dill weed
1/2 t. salt
a little pepper

Cook potatoes until tender, about 12 minutes.  Rinse with cold water and drain.  Add peas and onion.  Combine the remaining ingredients for the dressing.  Pour over potato mixture and gently toss to coat.  Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.  (We ate right away.)

My Mom has some pretty mad salad recipes, by the way.  Not the average green salad, necessarily, but other side-type of salads.  Pasta, broccoli, etc.  They are amazing.  I hadn't made this one in a long time.  I'm glad I took it off the shelf again.


Here is the fam playing tonight.  Just wanted to post these because they make me smile. :)


Happy 4th of July!

1 comment:

  1. Those family playing pictures make me smile too! Grateful for happy children and a Daddy that's ready to play! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete