Aug 15, 2012

Input please??

So a sweet friend took Malia to The Dusty Bookshelf today for her birthday and let her pick out a book.
And what does my 6-year old choose???

Okay, seriously?  I don't know how much of this she will pick up on.  However, I won't keep her from trying if I know that the content is age appropriate.
The problem is, I have no idea because I've never read this book.
Can anyone out there who has read this book give me some feedback?
Does Jane Austen, specifically "Persuasion", have content that a 6-year old would be okay with?

Like, are there any intimate scenes?
Murder?
Other violent things?
Greed?
Hatred that is played out in descriptive language?
Cursing?

I told Malia that she couldn't read this book until I gave her the okay.
I just haven't read Jane Austen so I don't know.  Help!

5 comments:

  1. You could watch the movie to get an idea of the content, or email Dee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Google and find a book review???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erica came home and told me about what Malia chose. I chuckled. Hope you get some helpful feedback...I'm clueless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I've tried reading it before but didn't get far enough into it to get any feel for its appropriateness. I found this website that uses a rating system to evaluate books. You can read about the moms who write the reviews and evaluate the content. This seems to have a fairly clean rating but the website says its rated on what is appropriate for different age groups and I can't tell for which age group this one is rated. I thought it provided some useful feedback to your questions, though. Here's the link: http://www.theliteratemother.org/persuasion-by-jane-austen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura Jones11:17 AM

    Erika, if you haven't yet read Jane Austen, you are in for such a treat! I'd recommend reading Persuasion aloud to Malia, though, because (in addition to the sheer joy of it) the characters and they way they relate to one another over time can be a bit confusing. It's a classic, and the plot takes time to develop. Also there are some themes hinted at in that book, like sugar and the slave trade, that you might want to explain at age-appropriate level. Also, Austen treats her characters kindly but allows their words to express their individual flaws and failings. Anne is a lovely character, very generous toward others yet not ambitious for herself. Austen doesn't portray anything objectionable per se, but she definitely deals with selfishness based on narrowness of life experience and/or expectations for what life should be -- like Mrs. Bennett in Pride & Prejudice. Actually P&P is my favorite, but again would need explaining in terms of English inheritance laws/customs and the effect that had on families without sons, etc. Emma is another great one for showing personal growth and learning to say, "I thought I knew what I thought, but oh my goodness was I wrong." Ooooh, such treasures to be discovered! I'm so excited for you. Definitely READ the books before you watch the films... Enjoy! xx

    ReplyDelete