Aug 8, 2012

Why do jars break?

 Thanks to our friend Levi who delivered an onion this morning, I was able have my first try at canning some salsa!  Levi stuck around and played an intense game of "Go Ape" with the girls while I chopped tomatoes.
Using a couple of recipes I found online as a guide, this is the recipe I used:

Zesty Homemade Salsa

8 c. skinned, cored, finely chopped tomatoes
(I don't really like chunky salsa - you can make it chunkier if you want.)
2+ c. finely chopped peppers
(I used green and red.  Kid-friendly spice level. :)
1 c. minced onion
(We don't do a lot of onion in this family, so I used a small amount and made it tiny.)
1 T. minced garlic
>1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
1/4 c. lime juice
1/2+ c. chopped fresh clinatro
(Mine was out of the freezer from earlier this season.)
1/2 T. cumin
2 t. oregano
3/4 T. salt
dash of pepper

Combine all ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
Put into clean pint jars (makes about 4).  Boil in waterbath canner for 20 minutes.

If you need a guide on taking the skin off of tomatoes, there are a few different methods out there.
As I didn't have too many maters to work with, I just put them in boiling water for about a minute,
then placed them in some ice water for another minute.  Then the skins peeled right off.
Dicing them is a juicy mess, but the skins coming off shouldn't be a problem. :)


Sadly, one of my 4 precious jars burst in the canning process.
Does anyone know why this happens???
Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment